Download this page’s content as PDF Download
In the beginning the name of Indian Medical Association Kanpur Branch was ‘Cawnpore Medical Association’. It was formed in the year 1912.
The few men of medical profession used to meet almost daily at some place to discuss civil and social matters of significance, developments in medical science & means of prevention of epidemics and common diseases. Very soon they had formed into a Doctor’s Club at the bungalow of Dr. J.L. Rohatgi, which was then located within the compound of G.N.K. College. After a few meetings, they decided to form into a Medical Association and run it on proper lines making it fully representative of the doctors of the town.
The first official general meeting of newly formed Association was held on 28th May, 1912 at 7.30 P.M. at the place of Dr. S.N. Sen. Following 20 members attended this meeting :
- Dr. H.C. Bhattacharya
- Dr. M.N. Ganguli
- Dr. S.N. Sen
- Dr. Murari Lal
- Dr. Parsadi Lal
- Dr. D.C. Dumasia
- Dr. Abdus Samad
- Dr. N.N Dey
- Dr. Jawahar Lal Rohatgi
- Dr. Shiam Lal
- Dr. Fakiray Ram
- Dr. S.N. Tewari
- Dr. Jagannath Dikshit
- Dr. S.N. Ghosh
- Dr. Birbal
- Dr. Wazir Singh Sarin
- Dr. Jadunath Nagar
- Dr. Laxman Swarup
- Dr. Imdad Bakhsh
- Dr. (Miss) F. Nathan
Dr. Major W. Young being out of station, Dr. H.C. Bhattacharya was voted to Chair. At this meeting Rules and Regulations were adopted and the following were elected unanimously:
|President :||Dr. (Major) W. Young|
|Vice-President:||Dr. H.C. Bhattacharya, Dr. M.N. Ganguli|
|Secretary :||Dr. N.N. Dey|
|Jt. Secretary:||Dr. Jawahar Lal Rohatgi|
|Treasurer :||Dr. S.N. Sen|
|Members of the Executive:||Dr. Abdus Samad|
|Dr. Shaim Lal|
The Office of the Association was in the bunglow of Dr. Jawahar Lal Rohatgi, Civil Lines, Kanpur.
The following Aims and Object of the Association were also adopted at the very first general meeting.
- To consolidate the unity and brotherhood among the members of medical profession.
- To maintain the dignity of profession.
- To improve the method of treatment by interchange of experiences.
- To keep abreast with modern scientific knowledge by means of debates, discussions respective Medical Journals and Periodicals and also by Exhibitions of rare cases.
- To educate in the matters of sanitary reforms. These noble aims have continuously provide impetus for the Association and its members to grow up with high traditions.
In the year 1944 the name of Cawnpore Medical Association was changed as Indian Medical Association, Kanpur branch.
A Few Words About Founder Members
The first census of Kanpur was under taken in 1847 and the population of the city was 1,08,796. There were 47 Physicians and 5 Surgeons. Most of them were Europeans attached to military and civil hospitals. A few of them were unqualified native doctors. In the year 1872 the population was 1,22,770 and the doctors 153. In 1901 the population was 1,258,868.
After the first war of Independence in 1857 the all India Associations in various professions had started springing up. The Indian National Congress was founded in 1885. In Cawnpore the first professional association was formed by the Bar in 1886 by about 40 members practicing law.
Dr. Mahendra Nath Ganguli had come to Cawnpore in 1878. Dr. Jagendra Nath Basu in 1892, Dr. Surendra Nath Sen in 1894 and Dr. H.C. Bhattacharya in 1900. Most of them were practicing on the Mall. By 1911 there was addition of few more doctors in practice. All of them were attending prince of Wales Hospital as Honorary Physicians. They were thus in touch with the government doctors and amongst themselves too. They decided to form a doctors’ association and this was formed in 1912 by Dr. Hem Chandra Bhattacharya, Dr. M.N. Ganguly, Dr. S.N. Sen, Dr. Murari Lal. Dr. Prasadi Lal Jha, Dr. Abdus Samad, Dr. Wazir Singh Sarin, Dr. Jadunath Nagar, Dr. D.C. Dumasia, Dr. N.N. Dey, Dr. Jawahar Lal Rohatgi, Dr. Shiam Lal, Dr. Fakirey Ram, Dr. S.N. Tewari, Dr. Imad Baksh, Dr. Lakshman Swarup, Dr. Miss F. Nathan, Dr. Birbal, Dr. Jagan Nath Dikshit and Dr. Sachindra Nath Ghosh.
Out of 20 founder members only three hailed from Kanpur-Dr. Fakiray Ram, Dr. S.N. Tewari and Dr. Jagannath Dikshit. Four were service doctors viz Dr. Wazir Singh Sarin, Dr. S.N. Tewari, Dr. Imdad Bakhsh and Dr. Laxman Swaroop. The retired doctors were Dr. H.C. Bhattacharya, Dr. Shiam Lal, Dr. Birbal and Dr. Fakiray Ram. They all had good practice. Their life span on an average was 70 years except Dr. Dumasia and Dr. Shiam Lal who died prematurely. Dr. Dumasia and Dr. J. Nagar died issueless. Two doctors qualified from England Dr. N.N. Dey and Dr. S.N. Tewari. There were then only three lady doctors- Dr. (Miss) Leach, Dr. (Miss) Nathan and doctor in Catherine Hospital which had opened in 1896.
There was lot of cordiality and feeling of fraternity amongst them. The association initially had a patronage of the Civil Surgeons who were Englishmen. The first President of the association was Dr. William Young I.M.S. (F.R.C.S.) who remained its President till 1920. The second President was also an Englishman Dr. Chartes Arthur Fuller in 1921 after which no Englishman was elected as President. The last English Civil Surgeon of Cawnpore was Dr. Edmund Stanley Sayer Lucas Major, I.M.S. The first Indian Civil Surgeon of Cawnpore was Dr. Puran Chand Kacker (M.B.B.S. Allahabad -1918) in 1944.
Dr. H.C. Bhattacharya (1845-1913)
Dr. Hem Chandra Bhattacharya, son of Dr. Nabha Kumar Bhattacharya belonged to Guptipara in 24 Paraganas in District Hooghly (Bengal).
L.M.S. from Calcutta near about 1870, he entered in civil medical service. From Naga Hills, Manipuri, Faizabad, he was posted to Prince of Wales Hospital (UHM) in Cawnpore. On his posting being made outside Kanpur for Plague duties, he resigned in 1900 and settled in Kanpur in practice. He was alrounder. He would do eye operations also. Abscess he would drain in his úgaldan’. Instead of using tonga etc., he would prefer to walk on foot. He purchased a bunglow in Civil Lines behind post office and named it Hem Villa.
He was voted to the chair in the first meeting of Cawnpore Medical Association. Out of his two sons, Dr. R.C. Bhattacharya (M.B. Cal 1916) was secretary of the branch from 1929-32 and it was during this period that the building Temple of Service had materialised on 16th Nov. 1932. Dr. R.C. Bhattacharya built a room in the memory of his father which was present as secretary’s office. Before his premature death in 1934, Dr. R.C. Bhattacharya, who had no son, had formed a ‘Dr. Hem Chand Bhattacharya Trust’ and under his will, had gifted Hem Villa to the Association for a Maternity & Child Welfare Hospital. A year after the formation of Association, Dr. Hem Chand Bhattacharya breathed his last in June, 1913.
Special Feature : Even though an Asst. Surgeon, he was known as ‘First Bengali Civil Surgeon’.
Dr. M.N. Ganguli (1853-1925) Dr. Mahendra Nath Ganguli, son of Sri Ghanshyam Ganguli, resident of Haldarpara Kalighat, Calcutta was L.M.S. from Calcutta (1878). He was the first qualified Indian doctor in practice in Cawnpore. In an article he has written that on arrival in Cawnpore, he hired a tonga from the Railway Station (Old G.T. Road) for two annas and reached Mall Road to stay in the Queen Victoria Hotel where now stand S.N. Sen Balika Vidhyalaya.
He started his practice from Mandal Ka Dawakhana (Shafi Building), Mall Road and later shifted to Colvin Hall on the Mall. Kanpur has not witnessed a roaring practitioner like him. It was said –
महेन्द्र नाथ गंगोली सड़क ठंडी पर रहते है चले जाओ मरीज़ो गर जो तुम अपनी शफा चाहो
His practice was Rs. 6000/- p.m. (present estimate more than 4 lacs.). From poor patient he would charge eight annas and from rich one rupees. He had increased his visit to Rs. 8/-. There was no concept of consultation fee at that time. But to develop this roaring practice, he had to struggle hard. Hindus would not accept English medicines thinking it will spoil their religion. Dr. Ganguli would bring Ganges Water in the kalas and would make mixture in ‘holy’ water to allay their fear.
He was elected Vice President in the first executive. President in 1922 which he continued till his death i.e. up to Dec., 1925. He was a member of Harmony Masonic Lodge initiated on 6.2.1882. He was Full Worshipful Master of Ganges Lodge in 1890. He was founder President of Balika & A.B. Vidyalaya. He was associated with various organizations. Amongst doctors in Kanpur, he was the first to own a car near about 1915.
Special Feature : He was the first Indian President of Cawnpore Medical Association.
Dr. S.N. Sen (1865-1945) Dr. Surendra Nath Sen, son of Sri Yogendra Nath Sen was born at Jaipur in 1862 where he had his primary education. Having passed L.M.S. from Medical College, Calcutta in 1894 he set his private practice in Kanpur from Mandal ka Dawakhana to his own clinic cum-residence on the Mall. He rendered free service to Prince of Wales Hospital.
The Medical Association of Kanpur is the outcome of his perseverance and efforts. he is therefore, rightly called the “Father” of the association. In 1913 he was elected as secretary and continued up to 1926 and he was elected as President in 1927. On formation of Indian Medical Association in 1928, he enrolled himself as its member in 1930. He was the President of 1st U.P. State Medical Conference in 1934 at Meerut and of IInd State Medical Conference in 1935 at Kanpur he was the Chairman of Reception Committee. He continued as President of the branch from 1927 till his death on 31, Dec.1945.
He was a saintly religious devout. He named the association building as Temple of Service. He was a great social worker. Balika Vidyalaya, A.B. Vidyalaya were his creations. Balika Vidyalaya named after him, perpetuates his memory. He was associated with almost all philenthropic institutions of Kanpur at that time. He died in 1945 at the age of 84 years. His son Late Dr. Sidheshwar Sen, M.B. (Cal) was the President of the Branch in 1954.
Special Feature : In fact, he is the “Father” of Cawnpore Medical Association.
Dr. Murari Lal (1872-1961) Dr. Murari Lal Rohatgi, son of Lala Shyam Lal belonged to Delhi but after 1857 mutiny had settled at Meerut. Born in 1872, he passed M.B.B.S. from Lahore in 1902 and was appointed as Medical Officer of Health, Allahabad. He was transferred to Kanpur where he settled in practice at Moolganj and soon became a well known doctor. He was the first M.B.B.S. doctor in Kanpur.
The title of Rai Saheb was conferred on him. He was a great patriot. On visit of Mahatma Gandhi in 1916 he joined the Congress party and relinquished the title of Rai Saheb. Dr. Murari Lal met Mahatma Gandhi in Pratap Press in Philkhana. With Ganesh Shanker Vidyarthi took over the responsibility of national movement in Kanpur and was jailed in 1922 for the first time. He was elected as Chairman of Cawnpore Municipal Board. The All India Congress Conference was held at Kanpur in 1925-he was the chairman of Reception Committee. In 1937 he was elected to the Legislative Assembly and later a member of Rajya Sabha. On 17th Nov. 1961 he breathed his last. A statue of Doctor Saheb is installed on Bara Chauraha adjoining Kotwali.
His younger brother was Late Dr. Banwari Lal, who was President of the branch in 1958. In his clinic near the court compound, a Memorial Clinic is being run in his memory.
Special Feature : He was a great freedom fighter. The Chest Hospital of Kanpur is named after him.
Dr. Parsadi Lal (1888-1959) Dr. Parsadi Lal Jha, son of Sri Bhao Singh Jha belonged to Darbhanga in Bihar but, his ancestors had settled in Allahabad so he had primary schooling there. He passed High school in 1st Division in 1902 and Intermediate from Muir College in 1904.
Having passed L.M.S. from Lahore in 1908 he set up his practice in Kanpur at Khapra Mohal on the station road now known as Shantinagar.
He was an Honrary Physician at Prince of Wales Hospital, Kanpur. He was a scholarly person. He was fond of Ayurvedic System. He wrote books on ‘Ayurved Vigyan and Mimansa’.
He died in 1959 at the age of 71 years. He had no son but two daughters who too, after their marriages died in his lifetime.
Special Feature : Even though an allopath, he was mostly practising Ayurvedic system.
Dr. D.C. Dumasia (1880-1924) Dr. Dossabhai Cooverji Dumasia belonged to Surat and was a Parsi. Born on 24-2-1880 at Surat he was educated at Bombay.
He obtained the degree of L.M.S. from Medical College, Bombay. He came to practise in Kanpur in 1907 and had his clinic on the Mall Road opposite Phoolbagh where later Dr. Variava, ophthalmologist was practising. The building stands demolished and a new building constructed. The name of his clinic was ‘The Mall Pharmacy’. It was a practice of the then doctors that they would give a name to their clinics. Dr. Dumasia had a good practice. By then the Parsis were in good number in Kanpur and were having flourishing business in the city. Dr. Dumasia was a single constitutionwise tall handsome personality. He was honest, hardworking and very popular in his mohalla.
In 1924 he went to Bombay, and died there in 1925. He was issueless. His wife Aimai D. Dumasis was staying at 6, Curve Road, Tusker Town, Bangalore. His biodata was sent by her in 1977.
Special Feature : He was the first Parsi doctor of Kanpur.
Dr. Abdus Samad (1884-1984) Dr. Abdus Samad, son of Sri Chowdhry Hilaluddin Ahmed belonged to District Jessore, Bengal. His father having retired from military service, Kanpur, settled in Lal Kurti Bazar Cawnpore Cantt.
Having topped in M.B. Lahore 1911, he started practice at Latouche Road (named after Sir James Latouche Governor). He soon became the top practitioner of Kanpur. His junior doctors would say that he was a born clinician. He had his own Empirical formulae for some diseases which could not be discussed academically. He had such a vast practice that his clinic gave an appearance of an outdoor. His diagnosis was respected by the professors of Lucknow Medical College and Agra Medical School, who would often consult him also. He was doing maximum home visits.’ He had a Tonga as his conveyance but near about 1940 he had an Austin car. He was equally popular amongst Hindus and Muslims. He commanded respect all around. He was a first class Homeopath also. He was putting on a ‘Gandhian’ type round cap, achkan and Aligarhi Pyjama. He was an ardent young founder of the association. He was a member of the first executive; in 1937 President of U.P. State, I.M.A. and branch President in 1945 and 1946, M.L.A. in 1937. In 1948 he went to Pakistan and practised at Karachi. On the occasion of Golden Jubilee of the branch in 1962 he had sent his message of success of the jubilee.
His two sons are Dr. Abdul Rashid (in Canada) and Dr. Abdul Hamid (in Karachi) and out of his seven daughters one is Dr. Aisha Samad in Saudi Arabia.
He died in February 1984, while running 100th year.
Special Feature : He was a born physician, clinician.
Dr. N.N. Dey (1876-1931) Dr. Nalini Nath Dey, son of Rai Bahadur Dwarka Nath Dey was born in 1876 at Krishnagar, Bengal. After the death of his father he went to live with his uncle at Meerut where he had his primary education. He went to Lahore to study in Christian College.
Having passed L.M.S. from Lahore, he went to England in 1900 and studied Medicine Surgery and Gynaecology at Edinburgh, Glasgow & Dublin. He came back to India in 1910 and settled in private practice at Kanpur. He was married in 1912, the year of formation of Cawnpore Medical Association. He was elected the first secretary but resigned in October 1912. He was an ‘Anglicised’ man and a great ‘Shaniyal’. He was an uprightous person in his dealings. He owned Bunglow no. 78, Cantonment ‘Cawnpore Lodge’ where he lived. His wife belonged to Calcutta and on her persuasion, Dr. Dey left Kanpur and settled in Calcutta.
At Kanpur he was doing practice mainly as a gynaecologist. He had donated a book of gynaecology to the association library which is still with the one library. He took a job in Calcutta with Bird & Co as Chief Medical in 1918. In 1921 he set up his practice in Burdwan but left too for his birth place Krishnanagar and started practice again. He joined the Nationalist movement. He took to Khadi Kurta and Dhoti. He was made the President of Nadia District Congress Committee. He died in Krishnanagar in 1931.
Dr. Anup Kumar Dey of Lal Bungla comes from same family.
Special Feature : He was the first secretary of Cawnpore Medical Association.
Dr. Jawahar Lal Rohatgi (1887-1974) Dr. Jawahar Lal Rohatgi was born on Feb.18, 1887 at Ajmer and had schooling at Bharatpur. Having passed L.M.P. from Medical School, Agra, he joined the govt. service and was posted at Agra Jail and Etah District Hospitals. There after he resigned from govt. service on call from his brother Dr. Murari Lal. He came to settle in private practice at Kanpur.
In 1912 on the formation of Cawnpore Medical Association, he was elected as Joint Secretary. The office of the Medical Association was located in his house in Civil Lines. He was elected President of the branch in 1947 and later President of IMA UP State. He was also the Vice-President of IMA Central. He was well known for his ophthalmic practice. His clinic was in Nayaganj. He was a renowned social worker of Kanpur Congress Committee and a member of U.P.C.C. and A.I.C.C. He was elected to the Legislative Assembly in U.P. and also in Parliament. He was a Minister in the U.P. Cabinet. The citizens of Kanpur released an ‘Abhinandan Granth’ in his honour.
The top ranking leaders of India like Mahatma Gandhi and Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru on their visit to Kanpur stayed at his residence. He had written an article in our veterans’ published by the branch on the celebration of the Diamond Jubilee in 1973.
In the year 1974 he breathed his last. His son Dr. Rajendra Rohatgi, Suptd. of Kanpur Eye Hospital, was the President of the branch in 1959. His daughter Dr. Chandra Kanta, who started the first Maternity and Nursing Home in Kanpur and the first M.B.B.S. lady doctor of Kanpur, was also President of the branch in 1961.
Special Feature : He is the only doctor of Kanpur who held the office of a minister in the U.P. Government.
Dr. Shiam Lal (1874-1921) Dr. Shiam Lal, a Saraswat (Sharma) Brahmin was son of Sri Rao Pratap Singh. He belonged to Hathras where he was born in 1874 & had his primary education there.
Having passed L.M.P. from Medical School Agra, he joined the Medical Service as a sub assistant surgeon and was posted in 1904 in Prince of Wales Hospital, Kanpur. He was living in the hospital compound. He took premature retirement in 1908 as he was not keeping fit on account of Diabetes. He was elected member of first executive of Cawnpore Medical Association held on 3rd June 1912 at 5.45 p.m. under the presidentship of Major Young. After retirement, he started practice in Nayaganj and was living in a rented house in Hatia. In 1918 he purchased a house on Meston Road. His descendants are still living in the same house. He was having good practice and was doing mainly surgical practice. He had a Tonga as his conveyance. Dr. Shiam Lal went to sleep well one night but in the midnight he was found lying on the floor. Perhaps he had a heart attack or cerebral hemorrhage and the next day died in the afternoon at the age of 47 years only in Feb.1921.
He had only one son, Dr. Hazari Lal, M.B.B.S. from Lucknow 1922. He was class fellow of Dr. B.N. Bhallay and Dr. Banwari Lal Rohatgi in Medical College, Dr. Hazari Lal was still a student in the Medical College when his father died. After coming out of medical college he was practising at Ban Bazar. He used to take lot of interest in national movements and congress activities. He too died young.
Special Feature : In private practice, he was known as ‘surgeon’. The other doctors were mostly doing non-surgical practice at that time.
Dr. Fakiray Ram (1880-1956) Dr. Fakiray Ram, son of Sri Chirnaji Lal born in Dec.1880 at Village Vadepurwa a small hamlet in Cawnpore Cantt opposite Lal Kurti Gora cemetery, was brought up in country side atmosphere. Having passed High School in First division, he took appointment as a teacher in P.P.N. School, Chatai Mohal Kanpur. Impressed by his brilliant academic career, he was called by the Principal of Christ Church College, G.S. Westcott (after whom is named Westcott building on the Mall) for admission in F.A. (Intermediate) with scholarship.
After L.M.P. from Agra 1902, he was appointed for 7 years by the British Indian government in Indian Medical Department (IMD) (non British cadre) and posted as a Military Warrant Officer at Garrison Dispensary, Fort William Calcutta (the then capital of India). He also served in Survey Campaign in Burma with remarkable distinction. In 1909, he relinquished the service and settled in practice at Halsey Road (named after William Sterling Halsey Collector of Cawnpore in 1866) and named his clinic ‘Hitkari Medical Hall’. He purchased a house on Meston Road and opened his clinic in it outside which he had a board written ‘Teachers, Preachers and Students are treated free of charge’. He was an ardent follow of Arya Samaj. He was founder of Bharti Bhawan Trust of Bharti Ved Vidyalaya in Ajitganj, Babupurwa. He used a Buggy as conveyance.
His son Dr. J.N. Rajpal, our veteran member and Secretary of the association in 1950 was practising at Meston Road. Now his son Dr. Santosh Rajpal an orthopedic surgeon and latter’s wife Dr. Pushpa Rajpal are practicing in that clinic. Dr. Fakiray Ram’s two more sons are Dr.Vireshwar Pal and Dr. Dharmendra Pal.
Special Feature : True to his name he was living like a ‘Fakir’ and throughout his life he was meditating ‘Fakir’ which is ultimate reality. He took life as a great ‘Tapasya’.
Dr. S.N.Tewari (1880-1965) Dr. Sheo Nandan Tewari, son of Pt. Mani Ram Tewari resident of Village Maswanpur near Kalyanpur, Kanpur had his primary education at Ajmer. Having passed L.M.R (Agra) he started practice at Ajmer and went to England and passed M.R.C.S. (Eng. 1907) L.R.C.R (Lond. 1907). On return from England he joined Municipal Board Kanpur as a Medical Officer of Health. He again went to England and passed D.P.H. (Bristol 1913).
Dr.Tewari was elected a member of the First Executive of the association in 1912. From a health officer, he was appointed an Executive Officer in 1921 of the newly formed Cawnpore Improvement Trust, the post he decorated till his retirement in 1935. He was living in the bunglow of Municipality opposite to association building, land of which was auctioned at about Rs. 9000/- per sq. meter. He was made a ‘Rai Bahadur’ for his meritorious administrative capabilities. It was on his initiative that the Nazul land on which stands the association building. The Temple of Service, was given to the association by Cawnpore Improvement Trust. The deed on behalf of the Trust was signed by him. He rendered great service in the construction of the association building through contractors.
After his retirement from Kanpur he went to Lucknow and took some military supply contracts. He settled there. He died in 1965. Dr. R.N. Bajpai, Pathologist and secretary of the branch (1946-49) and our veteran member was his nephew.
Special Feature : He was the first doctor originally belonging to Kanpur and going to England for higher medical education.
Dr. Jagannath Dikshit (1874-1945) Dr. Jagannath Dikshit, son of Pt. Daya Ram Dikshit was resident of Miatha Lalipur village, District Kanpur. He was born in 1874. Having passed High School from Charkhari estate in 1889, he passed L.M.P. from Medical School Agra in 1896.
There after he served the Militaty Medical service for 10 years. Having taken premature retirement from the Indian Medical Department he came to Kanpur in 1907. He set up his practice in Nayaganj in 1909 and had very good practice. He was a simple person of simple temperament. He had only one issue – a daughter married to our veteran member Dr. R.K. Shukla, M.B.B.S. (Luck. 1935) who apart from his private practice was also in-charge of Sri Marwari Aushdhalya Kahoo Kothi, Kanpur. He is now leading a retired life in Shanti Nagar in his own house.
Dr. Jagannath Dikshit died of pneumonia in 1945 at Kanpur.
Special Feature : He was a man of very simple nature.
Dr. S.N. Ghosh (1865-1945) Dr. Sachindra Nath Ghosh, son of Sri Aghor Nath Ghosh, Principal of a college in Bengal, belonged to District Jessore and was born in 1865 in Behrampore.
After doing L.M.S. from Medical College, Calcutta he went to Kaulalumpur, Malaya. At the call of his friend Sri Jyotendra Nath Biswas (owner of Biswas Gun House, Meston Road) he came to Kanpur and started practice in Sirki Mohal. As his son was an engineer in Ganges Flour Mill, he was living in a bunglow in the campus of the mill.
He was Librarian and Treasurer of erstwhile Cawnpore Medical Association. He had good practice. He used to have his own tonga as conveyance. He was associated with many social institutions. He had four sons of whom elder two did not marry. The third son Sri Ajoy Ghosh was a communist and was President of the Communist Party of India in 1962. Children from his fourth son were living in Kings Market on the Mall.The wife of Dr. Ghosh had a span of life for more than 100 years and was living in the Kings Market house which was taken on rent by Dr. Ghosh himself.
Dr. Ghosh was a patient of Chronic Bronchial Asthma. He died in 1945.
Special Feature : He was a man of simple habit.
Dr. Birbal (1856-1930) Dr. Birbal son of Sri Doman Lal, belonged to Bihar and was born at Arrah. Having passed L.M.P. from Medical College, Patna, he came to Allahabad to settle there but joined the military medical service.
He was recipient of Victoria Medal for his meritorious services in III Burmese War (1885) and China Lushai War (1889-90) which was awarded to him by Lord Lansdown, Governor General of India. This medal is now with his son. He took premature retirement on medical grounds and came to settle in Kanpur. He set up practice in Meerpur, Gora Bazar. In 1901 when plague broke out, he was attached to the Cantonment Hospital. He set up his clinic in Collectorganj also. He built a house near Kath ka pul, Allahabad crossing. He developed a roaring practice and built about 15 to 16 houses. For conveyance he had buggy and an ekka. He would prefer to go on ekka. He had one son from his first wife who was one of the first seven students who graduated in 1896 from Christ Church College, Kanpur at that time. After the death of his wife, Dr. Birbal married a second time a marriage from whom had many children. One of his daughter was married to Sri Jag Jiwan Ram, the Deputy Prime Minister of India. She is still alive and lives in Delhi.
Dr. Birbal in 1927 entered into partnership in Leather business with Mr. Halim (after whom Halim College is named). Sadly this proved an utter failure and all his property had to be auctioned. He could not bear the shock and died on Dec. 16, 1930 in his own hata in Jatavnagar (Transport Nagar).
Special Feature : He was father-in-law of late Sri Jagjiwan Ram, the Deputy Prime Minister of India.
Dr. Wazir Singh Sarin (1856-1930) Dr. Wazir Singh Sarin was in the government service and was posted at prince of Wales Hospital, Kanpur at the time of formation of Cawnpore Medical Association as an Asst. Surgeon. He was part time lecturer in Anatomy and Physiology in Medical School, Agra. In those days the doctors in service were posted at the Medical Schools as part time lecturers. Only a few were full time teachers. Even till sixties, the lecturers in Hygiene and Jurisprudence were the Health Officer and Civil Surgeon respectively and were heads of their departments.
After retirement Dr. Wazir Singh settled at Agra. He was the President of Indian Medical Association, Agra Branch in 1935-36. His son Dr. Jal Narain Singh, M.B.B.S. (Luck. 1923) was at Chili Int Ki Ghatia, Agra.
Special Feature : He was part time Lecturer also in Medical School, Agra.
Dr. Jadunath Nagar (?-1931) Dr. Jadu Nath Nagar was Gujrati. He was a practitioner at Lathi Mohal. In his house his clinic was on the ground floor and was living on first floor. He was L.M.S. from Bombay.
The name of his clinic was ‘Indian Pharmaceuticals’. In fact, he was intending for opening a Pharmaceutical manufacturing company. He was 6 feet tall handsome personality. He was putting on long closed neck coat and dhoti and a round topi. He died issueless in 1931 at the age of about 60 years.
Special Feature : He was first Gujrati doctor of Kanpur.
Dr. Laxman Swarup Dr. Laxman Swarup son of Sri Ladli Prasad had passed L.M.P. from Agra Medical School in 1902.
At the time of formation of Cawnpore Medical Association he was attached to Prince of Wales Hospital as an Asst. Surgeon. Dr. Abdus Samad in his letter dt. 4.8.1976 had stated ‘Dr. Laxman Swarup was middle aged while attached to Prince of Wales Hospital. Dr. Laxman Swarup, age was difficult to guess.’
He, too being in service, was transferred from Kanpur and further details including his photograph could not be collected.
Dr. Imdad Bakhsh Dr. lmdad Baksh, son of Sri Mohammad Bakhsh passed L.M.P. from Medical School Agra in 1892. He joined the government service.
Dr. Abdus Samad vide his letter. dt. 4.8.1976 from Karachi wrote. ‘Dr. Imdad Bakhsh was quite a senior man while working in the Collectorganj Branch Dispensary’. According to the ‘United Provinces List of Medical Practitioners, published in 1912, the column of address against Dr. Imdad Bakhsh shows ‘Address not known’. The Sadar Dispensary was opened in 1838, the second dispensary opened in Kanpur was General Ganj Dispensary between 1860-65 and the third at Nawabganj. This General Ganj dispensary was located on the north of Ganges canal (Naharia). When Collectorganj was laid out by Collector Halsey (1866-71) the area was named as Collectorganj. The dispensary was located where now stands Nihal Chand Kishori Lal building opposite Ghantaghar at station.
Being in Govt. service, he was transferred. Further details including his photograph could not be collected.
Dr. (Miss) F. Nathan (1880-1938) Dr. (Miss) Falicia Nathan daughter of Mr. Henery Nathan passed L.M.S. from Lahore in 1904. She was an Indian Christian. She set up practice in Kanpur and was the first lady private practitioner of Kanpur. She was practising at Meerpur. The doctors of Kanpur particularly Dr. Samad and others used to refer their cases to her. She being only lady doctor at that time was attached in practice with all the male practising doctors.
She was living in Bunglow No.58 Civil Lines near the church on the road behind Head Post Office. She was fat and quite short. She was quite jovial, a good natured lady.
Unfortunately in her old age in last days lost her mental balance. She did not marry and hence nothing more could be found about her, nor photograph could be obtained. She died near about 1938.
Special Feature : She was the first qualified lady private practitioner of Kanpur.